My blog has been created to document my time studying for my BA (Hons) Professional Practice at Middlesex University

Friday 17 September 2010

Professional Profile.

My name is Mark Iles and I am a professional performer working primarily in the musical theatre industry. 

Theatre captured my imagination as a child and my love of it has continued to grow. Personally the art of playing, exploring and finally creating something that transports the audience and ultimately impacts their lives is incomparable.

By 14 I had appeared in three professional pantomimes, the national tour of 'Evita', and 'Oliver!' at the London Palladium. These experiences prompted my realisation that performing could be a profession. At 17 I became a member of the Oxfordshire Youth Music Theatre, the National Youth Music Theatre and the Central School of Ballet.

Arts Ed London ran my vocational course of choice because its content was ideally balanced. Our timetable was filled with classes in ballet, jazz, tap, acting, stage combat, voice, speech, music theory, choral, singing and the history of musical theatre. I am certain it is due to the strength and diversity of this course and its teachers that I have been able to survive and flourish in such a precarious profession.

I graduated in 2003 with a National Diploma in Professional Dance (Musical Theatre). Since graduating I have danced in pantomime and 'Stars in Their Eyes Live'. I have appeared as ensemble, cover Goran in the national tour of 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang', and I played the Diction Teacher, cover Cosmo in the tour of 'Singin' in the Rain'. I have also starred as Molina in 'The Kiss of the Spider Woman' at the Emery Theatre, London and Angel in 'Rent' at the English Theatre, Frankfurt.

My intention is to work within the industry for the rest of my life. I want to continue performing but ideally in less danced based and more character driven shows. I also want to teach on a vocational course bringing my up-to-date knowledge of the profession to my students. I currently teach beginners ballet for adults at The Arc in Surrey and over the next few months hope to expand this.

My BA (Hons) in Professional Practice will give me the tools I need to move towards my desired career goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment