My blog has been created to document my time studying for my BA (Hons) Professional Practice at Middlesex University

Tuesday 14 September 2010

Copyright Laws.

Hey guys. It was great to meet you all today. I have found this information on copyright laws that I think explains things quite well. Just follow this link.

http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p01_uk_copyright_law

I was unsure whether I could use the photo of me in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang at the top of my page. Although I had the picture taken for me on my camera and therefore own its copyright I was aware that I didn't own the copyright of the production's design. I therefore needed to check if I could post the picture. The link above talks about something called "Fair Dealing" which is where it is acceptable in certain circumstances to reproduce someone's work without infringing copyright. For example, you are allowed to copy or lend for educational purposes. I think what we are doing here clearly comes within the bracket of "educational purposes" and I have therefore left the picture on this page but credited the production's designer.

Additionally I credited the Producer of the show because the link also makes the comment that "if the work is produced as part of employment then it will normally belong to the person/company who hired the individual."

I hope some of this helps people.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the information, it is very helpful. It is so funny about all the copyright rules and the loop holes. For instance, if Chitty Chitty Bang Bang were performing in an outdoor publicity or charity event, the photo would probably be classed as public domain and I think you would only need to credit yourself.

    ReplyDelete