My blog has been created to document my time studying for my BA (Hons) Professional Practice at Middlesex University

Thursday 20 October 2011

Professional Artefact

At the campus session yesterday we were talking about the professional artefact that we have to create as part of our final module and I thought I'd share some of the things that were said that I found most useful.

First thing to mention is that, unlike the critical review, the artefact doesn't have to have a specific form. In other words it doesn't have to be a piece of academic writing, although it can be. I think Jo Gunnel's artefact is a good example of this. She is doing her inquiry on singing and so her artefact is going to involve her actually singing. What better way to show your discoveries about singing than by actually giving sung examples?

I think the most important things that was said was that your artefact needs to be directly connected to your question. It is not and 'add on' and is not the next step. Make sure your artefact is the natural culmination of what you wanted to know. Don't get carried away using your artefact to pose new questions.

I think it is also important to say that your artefact should be useful within your field of work. Whereas the critical review academically describes your process and findings your artefact should be something that reveals your new knowledge in a format that is useful and understood within your professional environment.

I think with the artefact we have licence to be more imaginative and creative. Start thinking about it now though rather than leaving it until the last minute. Obviously we don't know everything we are going to find out yet but don't let your artefact end up being something you throw together at the last minute. I hope some of this is useful.

2 comments:

  1. Mark you have such a clear way of getting information across descriptively without blabbering.. I need a few pages out of your book!x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you summed up some of the important points. I hope the session was helpful.
    Adesola

    ReplyDelete