My blog has been created to document my time studying for my BA (Hons) Professional Practice at Middlesex University

Tuesday 1 March 2011

Bernadette Peters


I wanted to post this video of Bernadette Peters singing Rose's Turn from Gypsy because she is a musical theatre performer and she is sensational. It proves that people who train and work in musical theatre have the potential to give the same incredible performances as their 'straight' acting counterparts. On one of the SIGs people have been talking about the age at which we start training. I think that quite often in musical theatre we start too young and this shows in our performances and in the current state of the industry. On Broadway the average age of a cast is at least ten years older than that of a West End cast and I believe this shows in the performances. Bernadette Peters started out as 'just' a dancer but she shows what age and experience can give to a performer.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mark

    What a fantastic performance it really demonstrates the talent in musical theatre performers. I defy anyone to prove a straight actor could top that!

    Talking about the SIG's in reference to what age is right to start training. I think it’s a very valid point that Broadway shows have older more experienced performers compared to the West End. Like I mentioned in a recent SIG my friend is on an acting course that took her three years to get on because she was told she was too young. I believe that age/maturity sometimes can be more important to a performer and be more beneficial than solely what gets taught in a classroom the long term. How often are you told something but until you experience it for yourself you never truly appreciate the strength behind the information given. Without substance a performance can be incomplete. I have started a new SIG and posted on my Blog referring to Musical Theatre in Education and the long term effects. I'd be really interested in your thoughts.http://rebeccajanegaskell24.blogspot.com/2011/03/4b-musical-theatre-in-educaion-sig.html

    ReplyDelete