My blog has been created to document my time studying for my BA (Hons) Professional Practice at Middlesex University

Friday 25 March 2011

Award Title Rationale

This is something I have been thinking a lot about over the last couple of months but I realised recently that I haven't yet written anything down. Hopefully it will clarify my thinking now that I finally am.

My training at Arts Ed London was in Musical Theatre so I think a key element of my awards title has to be Musical Theatre. Joanna mentions a conversation she had with Alan (in a comment on her blog) where he pointed out that the work we are doing now only makes up a third of our degree. Our previous education and work makes up the other two thirds so I think it would be difficult for me to justify not including the words Musical Theatre.

It is important to me that my award title will help progress my career. In the future I would like to move into teaching on a vocational musical theatre course so I want my award title to somehow reflect and aid this.

As I am interested in musical theatre and the way it is taught I am basing my inquiry around the best way to train musical theatre students. I want to investigate what is established, if it works, if there is a better way, and even if there is a consensus. I am excited about my inquiry and think it will lead to benefits not only for me but also for future students and the industry as a whole.

Initially I thought a good title would be BA Hons Professional Practice (Education in Musical Theatre). I then read a comment by Alan (again on Joanna's blog) where he says that in using the word 'education' it perhaps implies that you have 'studied pedagogy and curriculum', which I of course have not. So how do I incorporate Musical Theatre as well as he work I am doing on vocational training, with the aim of looking impressive to future employers from vocational colleges? Perhaps BA Hons Professional Practice (Vocational Training in Musical Theatre)? Or does this perhaps sound like I have just had the training myself rather than being able to train someone else. Perhaps BA ........ (Teaching Vocational Musical Theatre) would be better?

Any thoughts or suggestions you might have would be hugely appreciated. It is amazing how changing even one word can hugely impact a person's understanding of what you are qualified in. I want my award to mean something. To really say something about me and my abilities and achievements so please give me your thoughts. Thanks.

5 comments:

  1. Wanted to post something quickly before heading out, so hope it makes sense!

    I also wasnt sure about the word 'education' at first as it immediatley made me think of school education or curriculum....but it was one of your comments on Joannas blog about Education and Teaching being the same thing that made that made me think about it further.

    The meaning of the word Education is to 'the act or process of imparting knowledge', as a teacher you are imparting knowledge onto your students and educating them so i dont think it should be a word confined just for formal/school education. I see what Alan is saying but also think that if you feel comfortable using it, knowing that when you teach you will be educating your students in Musical Theatre then i dont think it should be an issue.

    As another option what about something as simple as Musical Theatre Studies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really interesting and helpful post, thanks Mark. Has really helped start the cogs turning and begin my thought process breakdown/ analysing the best title award for myself as an individual. I think your suggestions were great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. Cerys, thanks for your thoughts on education. After your description of the word I think you are probably right that education could be appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mark

    You bring up a really interesting point with you questioning the term Education for your award title which made me re think my decision.
    Pedagogy:
    1. the function or work of a teacher; teaching.
    2. the art or science of teaching; education; instructional methods.

    Although you haven't covered the curriculum as such your professional experience and training has given your first hand exposure to the industry that can't be gained in a class room. You clearly have the necessary abilities to work in the industry and your experience is worthy of passing on so I believe that the term 'Education' is acceptable and relevant to you as it isn't an unfamiliar process.

    Your consideration of vocational training in musical theatre or musical theatre vocational training does sound like you've possibly just had the training yourself rather than being able to develop and pass on to others.

    I also considered incorporating Vocational training/Dance Development In Education somewhere within my award title. What do you think of this? I want my title to reflect my experience/ability and sum up my skills like you do.

    I felt the same about changing just one word on my award title and found that it could alter the whole perception given. I then proposed BA...(Musical theatre In Education) but Rosemary questioned the need for ‘In' unless I had a reasonable explanation. On reflection I thought perhaps the 'In' gave the impression that I wanted to teach within a school/college with a more academic emphasis rather than specifically Vocational based institutes. Would you agree with this idea?
    Even when considering our award titles the preconceived ideas of Musical Theatre and its place within Education are vastly different and when trying to combine the two its difficult to pin point the right phrase for a universal interpretation.

    What do you think about BA....(Vocational Musical Theatre Education)?

    This seems more direct and to the point still indicating where our area of skills lie now including the type of educational setting we intend to work within?

    I think from reading your blog and SIG discussions we both ultimately have the same desire to work within a vocational institute so our award title would be closely linked if not the same. Would you agree?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rebecca, I hope you read this (perhaps I'll post it on your blog too). Thanks so much for your comments they really got me thinking, again :)

    I think you're right that our goals seem pretty similar so I wouldn't be at surprised if our title ended up being exactly the same. I think you are definitely right to take the 'IN' out. I hadn't thought about it before but by saying 'IN' it implies you want to teach in an educational setting.

    I really like Vocational musical theatre education. It says everything it needs too but is simple as well. Vocational (because we are interested in it at a professional level), Musical Theatre (because it is where most of our experience lies), and Education (because as you say we have necessary skills that we have gained through the profession that we want to now pass on to training students).

    ReplyDelete