My blog has been created to document my time studying for my BA (Hons) Professional Practice at Middlesex University

Wednesday 17 November 2010

Just A Thought

In my blog 'Reflection IN and ON Action' I questioned whether it was advisable to reflect-in-action whilst acting. I thought that becoming too conscious and deliberate in your reflection in this instance might be detrimental to the character you were trying to create. Since writing the blog I have been thinking about the issue a lot and in light of a recent experience I have had I think my opinion has changed slightly or at least is now more fully formed.

When I was talking about 'acting' I had a very narrow concept of what that entailed. In my mind I was talking about traditional theatre where you are creating an environment and a character which an audience views through the imaginary fourth wall. The aim of the production would be to communicate a story and therefore the actor's intention would be to portray as truthful and emotionally accurate character as possible. In this situation I still believe it would be a mistake to analyse your performance whilst you were in it. I think it would lead to a very contrived performance. In viewing acting in this way I did however make a very large oversight. I assumed that all acting was the same and that all theatre had the same intention. I have learnt recently that this is not the case.

Whilst participating in my friend Helen's devised/improvised performance (I blogged about this as my journal writing experience) I was introduced to a totally new style of theatre. It was collaborative theatre that is designed to test the boundaries between performer and audience. It is not scripted but fluid and in its very nature requires interaction to be at its most successful. Much like a 'real life' example web 2.0 (a concept I have mentioned before when describing the 'Move' exhibition at the Hayward Gallery). In becoming aware of this style of theatre i also became aware that as an actor in the middle of it different rules apply. Suddenly for from being detrimental reflection-in-action becomes essential. If during a performance you approach and audience member and start an improvisation with them you can't rely on anything pre-planned and you can't reflect after the event because it's too late. You have to consciously reflect in the moment and adjust your performance to match what the audience member gives you. It will be different every time so you have to be one hundred percent alert if you want to be effective.

It is so interesting for me to discover this. Even at the time I was doing it I didn't really realise what I was doing but after my journal writing experience and another week to think over things the thought has finally come to me. Different types of theatre require different things from an actor. It is of the upmost importance to establish what the aim of the piece you are performing in is so that you can adapt yourself to what is required.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mark, thanks for your comment on my blog post about the campus session. We missed you there! I hope you are having a good time in Kuala Lumpar. I am glad I could be of assistance when you are so far away!
    This is a really interesting post and I definately used to share your view that reflecting in action while acting would make the performance contrived but it is interesting you have now seen things differently.

    ReplyDelete