My blog has been created to document my time studying for my BA (Hons) Professional Practice at Middlesex University

Monday 12 December 2011

The Circle Of Life

Gosh what a dramatic title. I feel like I am about to present a David Attenborough style program. I'm not, but I thought the title summed up the feel of this blog.

A friend of mine has just signed up to do this course and he will be starting the year and a half just as we all finish. Here is his blog if you are interested http://mrahmet.blogspot.com/. He called me the other day in a mild panic about the course asking what he was supposed to be doing. Do you all remember that? That question in your head at the beginning of the course when after talking to your adviser you would go "Yes, but what do I actually need to do?"

How far we have all come. We have spent a year and half learning new skills and developing a personal work ethic and we should be proud of ourselves. I for one feel that this course has changed me and not only have I heard others say the same but I have visibly seen the change in them.

I went and met with my friend to talk him through some of the early steps like setting up a blog and linking it to Google Reader and talking him through it made realise that it was the perfect time to take stock of exactly what I think I have learnt.

I have learnt to use so many new tools, such as blogs, flickr, reader as well as realising the importance of tools I already used such as facebook. I have become aware of the importance of my community of practice and no longer think of networking as a dirty word but as a way of increasing my professional understanding. I have a deeper knowledge of learning styles which has helped me as a learner and a teacher. I have learnt through journal writing to reflect on every situation in a critical way. To use my mistakes and my triumphs as the building blocks of my professional practice. I have learnt about ethics and the importance of considering how your actions could cause harm to others. Most importantly through the combination of all of these things I have learnt how to take charge of my career and move in the direction that I want. By understanding myself and my profession more I have had the confidence to fight for the things I want.

There is still a lot to do before I am ready to hand my critical review and artefact in but the end is now in sight so I feel it is a good time to look back at the last year and a half of learning and also to wish luck to all those who are about to start the journey.

1 comment:

  1. Mark I am sure this bog was helpful to others as they were finishing the course. I would encourage you to put up your final presentation if you could, especially your use of the curriculum artefact that you did and your final thoughts on the degree work. All the best...

    ReplyDelete